Saturday, October 18, 2008

Testosterone

Just got back from Tampa where I was meeting with a new client for work. I realized as I was sitting in the meeting just how much I work in a man’s world. I looked around the conference room table and noted that it was myself and 7 men. The only other woman that we encountered was on our way into the client’s office when we passed by his secretary’s desk. And not only was I surrounded by men, but they were all older and several were retired or active military. The client himself is an active duty marine who was wearing his uniform and had intentionally rolled his sleeves up to reveal bulging biceps.

Let’s just say that the atmosphere in the room oozed testosterone!

I don’t know why I mention it, just really thought it was interesting, I guess... I’ve always been fascinated by the male/female dynamics at play in situations. A few of the guys and I went out to lunch after the meeting and the conversation focused on baseball and sports the entire time. Everyone but me had their steaks or burgers while I had some fish and veggies. Two of the guys talked about how their wives were pregnant and it was just sort of mentioned in passing – obviously, a big deal in their personal lives but the dynamics of balancing work with a new baby didn't seem to be an overwhelming concern.

Do you know that in the US in 2006 less than a third of the leading 1,500 companies had even a single woman among their top execs? Research shows that the dearth of women in leadership positions has to do with many factors, one of which is the way women present themselves ...

Typically we don't promote or market ourselves as much as men do (and when women do promote themselves, it's perceived as aggressive or bitchy); we're more hesitant to speak up in meetings; don't utilize networks as much to our advantage (for the most part, women tend to form deeper relationships whereas men have shallower, broader networks that they can use to their advantage more often). Fascinating stuff. Obviously, those are all broad generalizations and there are plenty of men and plenty of women who break the norms.

But I have to say that I read some of those studies and am absolutely amazed that I can call myself out on all of those issues. Not actively promoting myself? Check. Reluctance to speak out? Check. Deep but not necessarily broad network? Check.

Other studies show that women are more motivated by the "meaning" in their work. (Um, big check there!) And that women are twice as likely to get depressed, suffer emotional ups and downs more intensely then men and therefore, tend to burn out easier. Yikes.

Ok, a long post simply motivated by a testosterone filled meeting but interesting stuff!

1 comment:

Star Kicker said...

You know, I was thinking the same thing recently. I just started as a junior associate in a section which is basically all men, dealing with clients who are all men. I swear everytime I meet a client they think I'm bringing them coffee.

I'm proud of the work I do. I'm proud of kicking ass in court, or at least going down fighting. But day to day - yeah. I'm definitely more withdrawn and watching. Still, it often helps to be the dark horse. If you figure it all out let me know. :)

I do like being able to curse though.

So nice to read and catch up - congratulations - you life seems beautiful and you deserve it!

\Gilson