Sunday, September 12, 2010

Demetri Martin

I have mixed emotions about stand-up comedy. Anyone that's met Brad and I know that we love to laugh (and do so quite often). So, when a comedian is good, I think it's a blast. But I also have a really strong empathy gene ... so, when a comedian is struggling, I feel soooo bad for them and it's just torture for me to watch.

So, when some friends asked us to go see a comedian last night, I didn't know what to expect. But it turned out to be an awesome night with a hysterical show by Demetri Martin. Demetri had a show on Comedy Central, was a staff writer for Conan O'Brien and was on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart - so a pretty impressive comedian!

He was super funny and we even got to go backstage after the show and hang out with him for a bit. I always wonder if comedians are going to be funny off-stage as well. The answer (at least in this case) is yes! But not in a stand-up kinda way ... we weren't rolling on the floor laughing, he was definitely more mellow than during the show, but more like the clever, engaging guy that you want to talk to at a party. You can tell he is a super smart guy - actually had been going to NYU Law School when he dropped out to pursue comedy. We got to talk with him about how he reads the crowd during a show, how he decides which jokes to tell, etc. Really interesting to hear his perspectives about what it feels like to be the one on stage in the spotlight.

Anyway, I'm now a huge fan and we had a really great night!


Jokes.com
Demetri Martin - Findings
comedians.comedycentral.com
Demetri Martin Stand-UpDemetri Martin JokesDemetri Martin Person
Videos

No comments: